Have you heard of a “Tree City USA?” This special designation from the Arbor Day Foundation is given to cities nationwide that are committed to trees by promoting urban forestry and awareness - cities like Clifton, New Jersey!
Read on to learn more about what it takes to become a Tree City USA and the benefits associated with the honor. Whether you're a resident or just passing through, you'll discover why Clifton is committed to trees!
What is a “Tree City USA?”
To become a “Tree City USA,” cities must meet several requirements, and the prestigious designation is only bestowed when a city meets the following four standards set by the Arbor Day Foundation and the National Association of State Foresters:
- The city must have a tree board or department responsible for managing and caring for the community's trees. This ensures that there is a dedicated team overseeing the urban forest.
- The city must have a tree care ordinance to protect and preserve trees. This ordinance outlines guidelines for planting, maintaining, and removing trees.
- The city must spend at least $2 per capita on urban forestry. This investment shows a commitment to the health and well-being of the community's trees.
- The city must celebrate Arbor Day, officially or unofficially, by hosting a public tree-planting event.
By meeting these requirements, a city can proudly call itself a “Tree City USA,” demonstrating its dedication to a greener future within the community and beyond.
Interested in having your New Jersey town designated a “Tree City USA” by the Arbor Day Foundation? Learn how here!
What Are the Benefits of Being a “Tree City USA?”
Being a Tree City USA is a badge of honor that brings numerous advantages for residents and the environment. What are the benefits?
- Trees improve air quality by absorbing pollutants and producing oxygen
- Trees also provide shade, which helps to reduce energy costs during hot summer months and reduce the effects of urban “heat islands”
- Healthy, well-maintained trees increase property values, enhance the beauty of a community, and provide a habitat for wildlife
But remember, even though we’re proud that Clifton, New Jersey, is an official “Tree City USA,” a commitment to trees comes with its own rewards, with or without special recognition.
Contact Aspen Tree Service in Clifton, New Jersey, for All of Your Tree Service Needs
Aspen Tree Service is committed to providing you with the very best in expert tree care. We're New Jersey Licensed Tree Experts as designated by the New Jersey Board of Tree Experts. Call us at 201-939-8733 and see why we're the tree care authority in Clifton, New Jersey, and beyond! We proudly serve Essex, Morris, Bergen, and Passaic counties.